Wednesday, October 31, 2012

All Hallows' Eve

Ever since I was a child, I have loved Halloween. A lot of times people look at you funny when you say that Halloween is your favorite holiday, but I have never cared. My favoritism is split evenly between Halloween and Christmas. They both have been brutalized by the media and by the capitalist consumer driven society that we live in, but they are still pagan and beautiful at their heart.
It's that heart that I love.
Closing my eyes on Halloween night, I have always been able to tune into the otherworldliness that this night lends itself to. Since I began meditating, I can perceive an odd thrum the closer we get to this day each year. A thrum just noticeable enough for me to be sure it isn't my I overactive imagination running away with itself.
Beyond the candy and the costumes and the orchestrated blood and gore (I could go on and on about the media, but that is a different blog), Halloween is about honoring the people and things in your life that have made their exit into their next.
Samhain is an ancient pre Christian Celtic festival of the dead. It was believed that this night was when the dead walked freely and when the night was over, these spirits made their final exit into the other world.
On this night in ancient times, the celts would leave offerings and burn fires to appease the spirits and protect the living.
Halloween, as we know it, is the product of the Christian church attempting to eradicate pagan holidays.
Most people aren't aware of the fact that when their kids go trick or treating, they are continuing a tradition that symbolizes a belief that is older than the church.
The ancient celts believed that when a spirit wasn't appeased with an offering (a treat) that they would wreak havoc and cause problems for their family (a trick).
Funny how things evolve, get watered down and accepted as mainstream in a different way, don't you think?

All that aside, I love Halloween and am glad that the tradition has been preserved in some way, shape or form.
Although I could do without all the blood and senseless gore that people tend to like in these modern times.
Everyone be safe.
Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment